Unique Landscapes: The Dark Forest
From Oblivion Mod Wiki
|Last Updated:||April 26th, 2010|
|Requires:||Official 1.2.0406 patch|
|Download(s):||TES Nexus, PES, TES Alliance, 4shared, TESInfo (German Version), Scharesoft (German Version)|
|Note: This is part of the Unique Landscapes project. For FAQ, compatibility/general info and links to the other parts of the project, see Unique Landscapes.|
This plugin adds a Unique Landscape to the area south of the Imperial City. It is called The Dark Forest. Located within the forest is Harcane's Grove, a place of magic and wonder, and Lorikh Village, a forsaken and cursed ruin of a village. The area features several new re-textured trees and plant life along with unique creatures and ambiance effects. Most of the rock ledges and tree logs are sittable. However, it is a good idea to not be sitting around for too long in this spooky environment. One never knows what will happen. In fact, there is a rumor that tells something about what happens to you if you fall asleep in The Dark Forest. But no one remembers how the rest of the rumor went. This mod is not recommended for players who are faint of heart. We warned you.
 Lorikh Village
Lorikh Village is the reason for the poisoning of the surrounding forest, once a pleasant little settlement, it experienced a severe tragedy that has cursed the land.
- Excerpt from Part 2: The Seed - The Dark Forest Explained:
- ... "Some of your scientists discovered that distilling a certain tree sap, molding it and drying it, they could create a resilient kind of armor called resin," said Sigerthe. "Most of the trees that grew here had very thin ichor in their branches, but not the Hist. Many of them fairly glistened with sap, which made the Dwemer merchants greedy. They hired a woodsman named Juhnin to start clearing the sacred arbors for profit. The old Argonian woman looked to the dusty ground and sighed, "Of course, we Argonians cried out against it. It was our home, and the Hist, once gone, would never return. The merchants reconsidered, but Juhnin took it on his own to break our spirit. He proved one terrible, bloody day that his prodigious skill with the axe could be used against people as well as trees. Any Argonian who stood in his way was hewn asunder, children as well. The Dwemer people of Lorikh closed their doors and their ears to the cries of murder." ...
Lorikh Village Features:
- Within the ruined village there is the remains of a bed for sleeping in, but beware, you may not get much sleep as the haunting of the area will invade your dreams.
(1 of 3 randomized video cutscenes plays when the player sleeps between midnight and 3am).
- It is said you can still hear the screams of a little girl from the Well in the center of the village during the night.
(1 of 3 randomized sound effects will play between midnight and 3am when the player steps up to the well).
- Lost spirits still roam the village seeking their final resting place.
(2 ghosts roam the village between midnight and 3am, they will flee and vanish when the player gets too close, only to reappear later on)
 Ambiance features
- The Dark Forest utilizes a progressive mist effect that settles over the water and applied in certain areas, it is activated between 10pm and 5am. Except for the mist around the two graveyards, that is permanent.
- Fireflies are ever present along with a unique species of BloodMoth.
- Dungeon Music is selected to add to the atmosphere.
- A unique poisonous water type flows through the middle of the forest.
(The water will cause minor damage to the player)
 Plant Life
- The Dark Forest is strangled by a unique new vine-type plant. This is a very dangerous plant that is known to cause pain and possibly paralyzation.
(The center of the plants feature gas effects and a trap damage with paralyzation if approached too close, some of the vines are Havok enabled).
- Features new re-textured grass and ferns.
The Sprite is the natural inhabitant of The Dark Forest. Playful and naughty during the day (Between 5am and 10pm they will dart around and cast a short Invisibility & Restore Magicka spell on the player, while giggling in 1 of 3 randomized sound fx), at night it is a different story. The curse applies to the Sprites and they turn evil and should be avoided. (Evil Sprites appear between 10pm and 5am, they laugh maniacally in 1 of 3 randomized sounds and cast a Drain Health & Drain Fatigue spell on the player). The Sprites are magical beings that cannot be harmed and are mainly for ambiance.
The Ghosts of Lorikh appear between midnight and 3am, they will wander the village and flee then vanish if the player gets too close, only to reappear later on. They cannot be harmed and are for ambiance only.
 Spirit of the Wood
The Spirit of the Wood comes out between midnight and 3am, she will wander around the sanctuary and will vanish if approached while laughing at the player. She will reappear later and cannot be harmed, mainly for ambiance.
I apologize for the spoiler as this creature was already present in vanilla Oblivion, but I have added a unique Player/Unicorn faction so that it doesn't attack the player when a weapon is drawn.
Minotaurs are the Guardians of the Unicorn. I have reduced their numbers to increase the FPS result.
Load Slofs Horses after The Dark Forest.
 Compatibility Patches
- Fixed the dream sequence script so it no longer goes off when you aren't actually sleeping in the area.
- Scripts adjusted so they no longer repeatedly enable/disable the objects they're controlling.
- Fixed still more flying nodes.
- Grounded 2 floating trees.
- ESP cleaned.
- Fixed texture paths in several meshes to make them BSA compatible.
- Corrected many flying path nodes and other nodes intersecting trees.
- Fixed a wrong object path to achieve compatibility with Oblivion 1.2.
- Removed distant terrain meshes to avoid conflicts with Rolling Hills.