From Oblivion Mod Wiki
|Author:||Paul 'Simyaz' Thomson|
|Thread(s):||Bethesda Game Studios Forums, The Nexus Forums|
|Last Updated:||April 1st, 2007|
|Outdated: Superseded by Tears of the Fiend.|
|Discontinued: The development of this mod has been discontinued. It is no longer being updated.|
 Author's note
While this MOD is entirely playable, it is ultimately negated by Tears of the Fiend -which is a culmination of The Legacy and The Butcher of Armindale- and I STRONGLY suggest you download and play that MOD instead.
- Complex quest involving a number of different encounters, 2000+ lines of dialogue, and a highly complex and engaging story.
- Branching quest/dialogue line, resulting in varying encounters and endings depending on HOW you choose to progress through the quest itself.
- Companion NPC packaged with all the features available to NPC Companion MODs at this point in time.
"A multi-layered complex quest to learn why it was you were DESTINED to become a hero..."
It was actually mid-development of The Butcher of Armindale where I first came up with the story that would eventually become the quest behind THE LEGACY. Similar to many writers, I tend to have my most productive ideas when I am knee-deep in another project, and thus am left to contemplate what "might have been" had I not been working on something else at the time. More often than not, these ideas are filed away at the back of my mind, and promptly dismissed as being unfeasible further down the track. Yet THE LEGACY was -to me- something MORE than just a fleeting idea.
With the release of The Butcher of Armindale months in the past, and the "revision" of Ruined-Tail's Tale still keeping my threads alive and active, I decided that I needed another project to tide me over until the release of NwN2 (and the production of the story-driven MOD I have desired to make for years now.) Many options were available, many were unfeasible, and many more were simply not DEFINING and ORIGINAL enough to warrant my dedicating countless hours of my spare time to.
Yet THE LEGACY -an idea that was inspired by games like Planescape Torment, Morrowind, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and numerous others- was something that I knew I could mould and shape into something that I would consider to be a true breakthrough for Oblivion. I didn't want to do another "Companion MOD" like Ruined-Tail's Tale or The Butcher of Armindale, I wanted to do something that could take my desire to craft stories to the next level. And thus the quest now known as THE LEGACY was born.
 Update Details
 Update 1.3 changes
- Added the new spell "Dark Legacy" if the player opts to follow the darker path of the story.
- Added a consistency checker to ensure that people who have died earlier in the story are NOT alive at the end of it.
- Changes to the dialogue in the final encounter to add more freedom to players who have chosen to follow the darker path of the story.
- Added new loading screens for the new cells in this MOD.
- Worked to ensure that The Legacy 1.3 is ready for TEARS OF THE FIEND (The Legacy + The Butcher Convergent storylines.)
 Update 1.2 changes
- Rewrote the "low end version" of the MOD so that now it ACTUALLY avoids the CTD bug on the flashbacks.
|Note: When using the "Low End Alternate Version," make sure you REMOVE everything after "TheLegacy" in the filename. eg. "TheLegacy - Low End Alternate Version.esp" BECOMES "TheLegacy.esp"|
- Changed a few journal entries to make the progression through the story more obvious.
- Changes the Quest flag on all quest-related items so that at the end of the game you can drop/destroy them if you so choose.
- Corrected a number of spelling errors.
- Corrected the "porting" bug in the Ehothorn estate (attempt 2).
- Fixed Allecia's run-speed.
- Edited a number of sound files to decrease size, and to change some of the sounds in general.
- Changed Allecia's pathing during the "Journey from Cheydinhal" to stop her bugging out and doing nothing.
- Changed Allecia's AI during the "Journey to the Orphanage" to stop her bugging out.
- Changed the images used for the various "books" so that they more closely resemble the actual books themselves (on 1024 x 768 display setting, at least.)
- Changed the Bsann the Archaeologist's approach to the player to stop players bypassing certain sections of the MOD.
- Made a few change to the Player's version of the Ehothorn Estate for various reasons.
- Added a few more "consistency checking variables" to stop the player from bypassing certain sections of the MOD.
- Added some hints/walkthroughs for the most common quest problems (such as the infamous sundial puzzle) to the ReadMe.
|Note: The earlier history can be found at download pages|
Detailed quest FAQ, as well as technical FAQ, can be found in the ReadMe file.